Table of Contents
It’s recommended to use Eclipse as development environment. The automaIT Tools expand the Eclipse features for working with XML by adding:
- Wizards for the creation of plans, components and plugins.
- Model validation to detect typical errors in the XML files before uploading them to the automaIT server.
- Auto-Completion and proposals for variable names, control names, etc.
- Build&Deploy mechanism to build and upload plugins or deploy single XMLs to the automaIT server directly from Eclipse.
- Installed Python 2.x (not 3.x) to use the Build&Deploy mechanism
- Working automaIT Server (version 1.2.0 or newer) with at least one attached agent (agent only required for direct model execution)
Installation of the automaIT Tools
- Open Eclipse
Select a workspace (or create a new one)
Go to Help > Install New Software
- Click "Add"
- Add Repository
- Name: automaIT Tools
- Location: http://www.novatec-gmbh.de/updatesite/automait/
- Select all features and follow the wizard
- Press "OK" at the security warning
- Restart Eclipse
Open the automaIT perspective by selecting Window > Open Perspective > Other > automaIT.
Open the Component Outline view by selecting Window > Show View > Other > Component Outline.
Create a new plugin by selecting New > automaIT Plugin and follow the wizard.
Create a new component by selecting New > automaIT Component and follow the wizard.
Create a new plan by selecting New > automaIT Plan and follow the wizard.
Use the auto-completion and the proposals by pressing Ctrl+Space.
An example of the automaIT Validation. All errors are displayed in the Eclipse Problems View (Window > Open View > Problems).
To change the settings of the automaIT features select Window > Preferences > automaIT
To use the build&deploy feature check the server settings and make sure the path of cli.py and the server password are valid. Be aware that these passwords are actually stored in clear text in the Eclipse installation directory!
Customize the validation settings if you want some warnings or errors to be not shown.
Check the launch configurations by selecting Run > Run Configurations.
Start the automaIT server and build and/or deploy/install/execute/run your project or single component/plan by selecting Run > Run As.
Deinstallation of the automaIT Tools
Go to Help > About Eclipse > Installation Details
Select the features and press "Uninstall"
Follow the wizard
- The validation is triggered on file saving. For validation between the components or of the whole project press “Save All” (Ctrl + Shift + S).
- Ensure to save a well formed XML (e.g. not containing open tags) because validation and auto-completion won't work otherwise.
- Actually, the content of inputText in execNative elements and CDATA blocks are not validated as well as there is no auto-completion available there.
- Using model extensions add your extension XSD files to the XML catalog of Eclipse (Window > Preferences > XML > XML Catalog > "Add") to have auto-completion and validation available for them.
- The progress and result of build, deploy and run executions are shown in the Eclipse console (Window > Show View > Console).